Sunday, September 23, 2007

Am I nesting?

I don't know if there's a pre-nesting stage in a woman's life, but it feels like that for me right now.

I am hopelessly addicted to Nick Jr. Once Mr. Salt is off to work it's time to turn on Nickelodeon. Nick Jr. has all the preschool programs geared to the little ones, and I'm finding that a lot of them are very good. I don't remember any other shows like this when I was growing up, besides Seseme Street and Mr. Rogers Neighborhood.

My favorite Nick Jr. programs are The Wonder Pets and The Backyardigans. The Wonder Pets, based on school pet superheros, singing and lyrics are great and very cute. The messages they employ are not heavy handed like other shows I've seen. Teamwork is important, and their differences are played up as strengths.

The Backyardigans is great for showing the powers of playing together and using your imagination. Their latest double episode, International Secret Spy, was great and funny. I think I liked it a lot more than some other movies I've seen recently.

Now, there are some I can't stand. That's reserved for Dora the Explorer and Go, Diego, Go! The pauses for audience participation drives me nuts! If they actually had a voice for the audience one their shows and not just silence it would be much better.

But I digress. Maybe I'm preparing myself to watch all these shows in the future. Or maybe I'm just bored with adult TV right now. But it's good to enjoy it while I can.

DineBoo

No comments: