Sunday, November 11, 2007

The Kokopelli Recipe Box: 'Ghetto' Navajo Tacos

This is the first in a couple of entries for The Kokopelli Recipe Box, which includes all sorts of recipes from frybread to red beans. I hope others will like my recipes and use them.




Mmm...Navajo tacos. I made this for Mr. Salt's dinner last week. You can find these for sall back on the Navajo Reservation. The Cheesecake Factory has a version called The Navajo, but it isn't the same. I call my version 'ghetto' because a true Navajo taco uses beans. I replaced the beans with ground beef in my version:

'Ghetto' Navajo Tacos
Recipe by DineBoo

A few pieces of frybread (check my Frybread Power! post for recipe)
A pound of ground round beef
Diced tomatoes
Shredded lettuce
Grated cheddar cheese
Seasonings (salt, pepper, Accent, etc) for taste


Prepare your frybread recipe. You can cook the frybread before or after you cook your meat. I perfer after, so the frybread is warm.

Crumble the ground round in a pan. Season the ground beef the way you like it. I like it a little plain, so I add a little Accent to it, or maybe some salt. Cook until brown, and be sure to not let it cook until it's dry. You want the meat to be cooked, but a little juicy. Drain away excess grease.

Take a piece of warm frybread and sit it on a plate. Spoon some ground beef on top of it, as much as you like.

Add some shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, and cheddar cheese, so it looks like a taco. Viola! Ghetto Navajo Taco. Aside from making the frybread, this is very easy to make and filling. Serve with a Coke.

You can eat it with a knife and fork like I do, or you can do what Mr. Salt does and fold the frybread in half like a taco and eat it that way. It kind of looks like a Taco Bell Chalupa if you do it like that.

If you have any frybead leftover, treat it as dessert and drizzle it with honey. Yum!

Happy Eating!
-DineBoo

1 comment:

Conservative Caridad said...

You've been tagged! Please visit my blog, read what this is about, and participate!

Amazing